Halloumi and smoked paprika stuffed portobello mushrooms
- August 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook, plus soaking
For a vegetarian barbecue with a difference, try these portobello mushrooms stuffed with halloumi, spring onions, lemon zest and smoked paprika.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 15.9g (7.1g saturated)
- 17.8g (0.9g sugars)
- 16 portobello mushrooms
- Olive oil for brushing
- 150g halloumi
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 5 tbsp breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Cut the stalks off the mushrooms, then slice the stalks. Brush the caps of the mushrooms with a little olive oil. Dice the halloumi, put in a bowl and pour a cup of very hot water over it. Leave for 20 minutes, then drain well and pat dry – this de-salts it and gives it an interesting texture, more like mozzarella.
- Mix the halloumi with the sliced mushroom stalks, paprika, spring onions, lemon zest, breadcrumbs, thyme leaves and 1 tsp water. Mix together well to make a sort of stuffing. Divide among 8 of the mushrooms, then place another on top, sandwiching the filling.
- Press each one tightly together, then chill in the fridge to firm up until you’re ready to cook them. Cook over a cooler part of the barbecue, making sure the heat isn’t too fierce, for 6-8 minutes on each side until well coloured.
Serve with a side salad, like this sweetcorn, asparagus and tarragon salad.
Want to make them meaty? These stuffed mushrooms are great wrapped with thin rashers of smoked streaky bacon before cooking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...