Ham and spinach pie
- January 2013
- Serves 4
- Takes 40 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
Use leftover ham in this Christmas pie recipe – a perfect way to use up Christmas leftovers. You can freeze the recipe, so you can enjoy your ham later on in the year.
- 28.4g (11.2g saturated)
- 45.3g (4.9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 250g leftover cooked ham, shredded
- 250g baby leaf spinach
- 15g butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100ml ham or chicken stock
- 50ml milk
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 250g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion, stirring, until soft. Add the potatoes and fry for 4-5 minutes. Turn down the heat, stir in the ham and the baby spinach along with 1 tbsp water, then cover. Cook for another 5 minutes until the spinach has wilted, then stir.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium-size pan and add the garlic. Fry briefly over a medium heat, then add the flour. Stir until smooth and cook for 1 minute, then turn down the heat. Mix the stock with the milk in a small bowl, then add it to the pan, a little at a time, stirring as the sauce thickens. Stir in the thyme, mustard and ham mixture, then taste and season. Pour into a 1 litre pie dish, then set aside until cool.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick. Brush the rim of the dish with some of the beaten egg, cover with the pastry and trim any excess. Press the pastry edges against the rim of the dish with the tines of a fork to seal, then brush the top with the remaining egg. Make 2 holes in the pastry to let the steam escape, decorate the top with the trimmings if you like, then bake for 35 minutes until the pastry is golden. Leave to stand for a couple of minutes, then serve with steamed green vegetables.
You can make the filling up to the end of step 2 and freeze in a sealed plastic container. Defrost before continuing with the recipe.
Rate & review