Ham hock and barley soup
- October 2011
- Serves 4
- 10 minutes to make, 2 hours to cook
This hearty and rustic soup recipe is best served with a crusty farmhouse loaf.
- 9.5g (3.3g saturated)
- 29.6g (6.2g sugar)
- 1 ham hock (about 1.3kg)
- 1 quantity basic vegetable soup
- 50g pearl barley
- Place the ham hock in a large, heavy-based saucepan, cover with cold water, then bring to the boil over a medium heat, skimming off any foam that collects on the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat can be pulled easily away from the bone.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave the ham to cool in the cooking liquid. Remove the meat from the pan when cool. With a sharp knife, remove the skin from the ham hock. Shred the meat from the bone and reserve. Reserve the liquid the ham was cooked in.
- Bring the basic vegetable soup to the boil over a medium heat and add the pearl barley and 2 ladlefuls of the reserved ham hock liquid. Simmer for 40-45 minutes until tender. Stir through the ham hock meat and serve in big bowls.
Rate & review