Shredded ham, kale and pasta soup
- December 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Use leftover Christmas ham (or shop-bought ham hock) to make this simple and comforting ham, kale and pasta soup recipe – perfect for warming you up on a wintry day.
Looking for more like this? Take a look at all our winter soup recipes.
- 11.6g (4.7g saturated)
- 50.4g (5.5g sugars)
- 1 large onion
- olive oil, for frying
- 2 garlic cloves
- 150g kale, roughly chopped
- 1.5l good-quality fresh chicken stock
- 250g short pasta (we like gemelli or cavatappi)
- 200g shredded British ham or ham hock
- Lemon juice
- Gruyère cheese, to serve
- Finely slice the onion and put in a deep saucepan set over a medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Fry, stirring often, for 10 minutes or so until soft, translucent and beginning to turn golden. Crush in the garlic, then add the kale. Season, stir, then pour in the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile put the pasta in a large pan of salted water and bring to the boil. When the pasta is nearly cooked al dente, drain and transfer to the soup pan, along with the ham. Gently heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Squeeze in a little lemon juice, taste and season, then ladle into bowls. Top with plenty of grated gruyère cheese, then serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...