Happy marriage cake
- August 2015
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30 min, plus cooling
A traditional Icelandic recipe that uses tart rhubarb jam, muscovado and oats in this cake come crumble recipe.
- 19.5g (10.8g saturated)
- 77.3g (49.9g sugars)
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g dark muscovado sugar
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250g rolled oats
- 200g rhubarb jam or rhubarb and ginger jam
- 100g strawberry jam
- Line a 23cm, deep loose- bottomed cake tin with baking paper. Heat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan/gas 4. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until pale.
- Beat in the egg, a little at a time. Once all the egg has been added, sift in the flour and bicarb, then add the oats and carefully fold in using a metal spoon.
- Set one third of the mixture aside. Spoon the remaining mix into the prepared tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Mix together the rhubarb and strawberry jams, then spread over the mixture. Top with the reserved mixture, leaving a few gaps so the jam peeks through.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake mix is set and golden but still quite gooey. Serve topped with a dollop of softly whipped cream, if you like, and enjoy with a cup of tea.
The finished cake will keep for 3 days in an airtight container.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Carrot cake recipes
Eric Lanlard’s carrot and pumpkin celebration cake
Master pâtissier Eric Lanlard created this showstopping carrot cake for...
Orange, almond and chocolate cake
This seriously rich chocolate cake recipe uses whole oranges to...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter