Happy marriage cake
- August 2015
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30 min, plus cooling
A traditional Icelandic recipe that uses tart rhubarb jam, muscovado and oats in this cake come crumble recipe.
- 19.5g (10.8g saturated)
- 77.3g (49.9g sugars)
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g dark muscovado sugar
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250g rolled oats
- 200g rhubarb jam or rhubarb and ginger jam
- 100g strawberry jam
- Line a 23cm, deep loose- bottomed cake tin with baking paper. Heat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan/gas 4. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until pale.
- Beat in the egg, a little at a time. Once all the egg has been added, sift in the flour and bicarb, then add the oats and carefully fold in using a metal spoon.
- Set one third of the mixture aside. Spoon the remaining mix into the prepared tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Mix together the rhubarb and strawberry jams, then spread over the mixture. Top with the reserved mixture, leaving a few gaps so the jam peeks through.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake mix is set and golden but still quite gooey. Serve topped with a dollop of softly whipped cream, if you like, and enjoy with a cup of tea.
The finished cake will keep for 3 days in an airtight container.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...