Orange, almond and chocolate cake
- October 2004
- Serves 16
- Takes 2 ½ hours to make, plus cooling
This seriously rich chocolate cake recipe uses whole oranges to yield a moist and decadent texture. This cake is perfect for a dinner party dessert, or for any celebration.
For a playful take on chocolate and orange, try this giant Jaffa cake recipe.
- 84.8g (26g saturated)
- 136g (98.9g sugars)
- 2 oranges
- 150g plain chocolate
- 5 eggs
- 400g golden caster sugar
- 350g sunflower oil
- 125g ground almonds
- 25g cocoa powder
- 375g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3-4 tbsp orange liqueur
For the topping
- 350g plain chocolate
- 225ml double cream
- Crystallised orange peel, to decorate
- Put the whole oranges in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Remove to a food processor with a slotted spoon and whizz to a purée, then allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease and base line a deep 23-24cm round cake tin. Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat, stir until smooth, then cool.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs, sugar and oil. Gradually beat in the orange purée, then the chocolate. Sift the almonds, cocoa, flour and baking powder together and fold into the chocolate orange mixture. Spoon into the tin and level.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes (cover with foil if it gets too brown) – it’s ready when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn out and cool on a rack. Drizzle the base of the cake with the liqueur.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate in a large bowl, as above. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream until smooth. Set aside until thick enough to spread, stirring occasionally. Swirl over the cake using a palette knife. Decorate with crystallised orange strips and serve with crème fraîche.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...