- September 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook, plus proving
A healthier version of the universal favourite. Here we slice off 163kcals from a traditional pizza recipe per portion.
- 9.9g (5.1 saturated)
- 44.4g (4.6g sugars)
- 125g strong white bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g strong wholemeal bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp (4g) fast-action yeast
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus extra to grease
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 150ml passata
- 125g mozzarella, drained and torn
- Good handful of wild rocket
- 4 Parma ham slices, roughly torn
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Leafy green salad to serve
- Sift the white flour and salt into a large bowl, stir in the wholemeal flour and yeast, then make a well in the centre. Add 150-160ml warm water and bring together into a soft, slightly sticky dough with the back of a table knife.
- Knead the dough vigorously on a lightly dusted work surface for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Return to the cleaned bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for about an hour until doubled in size. Meanwhile, toss the veg, rosemary, oil and garlic in a bowl. Season well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Knead the dough briefly, halve and shape into 2 evenly sized balls. Stretch and roll each to make a rough 25cm circle. Ease the bases onto 2 floured non-stick rimless baking sheets.
- Spread the bases with passata, leaving a 1cm border. Cover with the veg and scatter over the mozzarella. Leave to rise for 5-10 minutes, then bake on the sheets for 12-15 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Slide onto chopping boards and scatter with rocket and Parma ham. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, cut into wedges, then serve with a leafy salad.
For instant pizzas, make the dough up to the end of step 4, wrap in cling film, then foil, and freeze for up to a month. Defrost in the fridge overnight and continue with the recipe.
Rate & review