Kimchi potato pancakes with fried eggs
- March 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
Fancy pancakes for dinner or brunch? Course you do! Make midweek cooking extra exciting with these kimchi potato pancakes served with a crispy fried egg and sesame spinach.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 19.9g (4.3g saturated)
- 31.6g (3.5g sugars)
- 300g maris piper potatoes, chopped into 3cm chunks
- 150g kimchi (fermented cabbage, widely available), roughly chopped, plus extra to serve – see tip
- Small bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- Grated zest 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 75g self-raising flour
- 6 medium free-range eggs
- 100ml whole milk
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 400g baby leaf spinach
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 10-12 minutes until just tender, then drain. Put back in the pan for 1 minute to steam dry, then mash. Turn the oven on low.
- Put the mashed potato, kimchi (and any liquid that comes with it), most of the spring onions, the lime zest and flour in a medium mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, then stir until just combined. In a separate bowl, lightly beat 2 of the eggs with the milk, then mix them into the potato mixture.
- Heat ½ tbsp of the vegetable oil in a large frying pan set over a high heat. Ladle in half the batter to make 4 pancakes, about 10cm in diameter, then fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden and puffed. Transfer to a baking tray and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan, fry the remaining 4 eggs until cooked to your liking, then transfer to a plate. Add the spinach to the same pan, let it wilt, stirring occasionally, then stir in the sesame oil.
- Serve the spinach with the kimchi pancakes and fried eggs, sprinkled with the remaining spring onion, with extra kimchi and lime wedges alongside for squeezing.
Kimchi is often made with brined shrimps or fish sauce – look for a vegetarian version, if need be.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...