Kimchi and quinoa salad
- May 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 35 min
Naomi Devlin’s zingy salad is a doddle to put together once you’ve made your jar of kimchi. For a more substantial meal, add shredded/flaked cooked meat/ fish, or a couple of soft-boiled eggs, some fried tempeh or a handful of cooked adzuki or black beans.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8.1g (1.1g saturated)
- 29.3g (8.6g sugars)
- 400g cooked quinoa (or 175g dry weight, uncooked quinoa)
- 8 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 200g pink radishes or breakfast radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls fresh coriander leaves
- 300g kimchi (unpasteurised)
- Cold-pressed toasted sesame oil or sunflower oil for drizzling
- 4 handfuls soft salad leaves (about 100g), rinsed and patted dry
- If you don’t have cooked quinoa, put the dry quinoa in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave for 6-12 hours at room temperature. Rinse through in a sieve until there’s no froth, then drain and put into a lidded pan with 175g water. Bring to the boil, cover, then turn down the heat and simmer until the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and put the lid on the pan for another 5 minutes, then tip out the quinoa onto a plate to cool.
- Put three quarters of the mushrooms, radishes and coriander in a bowl. Add the cooled quinoa and most of the kimchi, drizzle in a glug of oil and mix. Add any cooked pulses now, if using, and extra oil if needed.
- Put salad leaves in each of 4 dining bowls and top with the quinoa salad. Arrange the remaining mushrooms, radishes, coriander leaves and kimchi on top, then add any protein you’re using.
Recipe is from Naomi Devlin’s cookbook Food for a Happy Gut (£20, Headline).
Make the kimchi 2 weeks in advance. If you don’t have time to soak the quinoa (step 1), cook straightaway.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Nutty avocado and mango salad with soy and lime dressing
This healthy vegan avocado salad is packed with the flavours of south east Asia –...
Feta, broccoli and mixed seed bulgur wheat salad
This superfood salad is a great way to start the week; double-up and take leftovers...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...