Korean-style barbecue beef
- August 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven and barbecue time 3½ hours, plus marinating
Judy Joo’s Korean-style barbecue beef contains a variety of beautiful textures: crunchy lettuce, sticky rice and the smoky, spicy meat. An adaptation of a classic Korean dish.
If you’re making a bbq feast, you should add Judy Joo’s chicken wing recipe to your menu, too.
- 16.6g (4.3g saturated)
- 11.1g (6.4g sugars)
- 1.5kg British beef short rib rack (also known as Jacob’s ladder), cut into ribs
- Cooked sushi rice and little gem lettuce leaves to serve
For the marinade
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3½ tbsp dark brown sugar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2½ tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tsp grated ginger
For the ssam jang sauce
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4½ tbsp doenjang
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Put the beef into a large freezer bag or shallow container. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl, then massage into the meat. Cover, chill and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat the oven to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2. Line a roasting tin with a large double layer of oiled foil and put the ribs on top. Seal the foil over the ribs to make a parcel and roast in the oven for 3 hours until tender and beginning to fall from the bone.
- To make the ssam jang sauce, mix all the ingredients together.
- Light the barbecue. Once the ribs are tender, remove them from the foil parcel, transfer them to the barbecue and cook for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until sticky and smoky. Shred the meat.
- Serve with cooked sticky rice, little gem lettuce leaves and the ssam jang sauce, for people to help themselves. To eat, put a small scoop of rice, a smear of sauce and a piece of beef into a lettuce leaf.
Make the ribs up to the end of step 2 and make the ssam jang sauce the day before. Chill overnight, covered. Bring the ribs to room temperature for 30 minutes before finishing the recipe.
No Barbecue? Once the ribs have cooked for 3 hours, griddle them on the hob for 15-20 minutes, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...