Pork ribs with a sweet and spicy glaze
- June 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes about 15 min to make, 1 hour 20 min to barbecue, plus marinating and resting
This juicy, flavoursome pork recipe is a real taste of the American South and perfect for a barbecue.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 28.8g (9g saturated)
- 78.4g (30.7g sugars)
- 2 x 1.3kg racks meaty pork ribs
- Coleslaw and baked potatoes, to serve
For the barbecue spice rub
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika (sweet or hot)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
For the sweet and spicy glaze
- 250ml tomato ketchup
- 100g dark soft brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp barbecue spice rub (see above)
- Mix together the ingredients for the barbecue spice rub, and set 1 teaspoon aside for the glaze. Put the ribs, 1 at a time, onto a large baking tray and sprinkle all over with the remaining spice rub. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- For the sweet and spicy glaze, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- If using a charcoal barbecue, light it about 30 minutes before you want to cook. If using a gas barbecue, preheat it 10 minutes beforehand. Rearrange the coals or turn off the middle burner for indirect cooking.
- Put the ribs onto the rack of the barbecue, bony-side down, making sure they are not directly over the heat. Cover with a lid and barbecue over an indirect medium heat for 30 minutes each side, until the ribs are tender and a deep reddish-brown.
- Uncover the ribs and brush generously with the sweet and spicy glaze. Cook for 10 minutes, turn and brush with more glaze. Cook for a final 10 minutes or until nicely caramelised and sticky – brush with the remaining glaze.
- Lift the ribs onto a board, brush once more with the glaze, cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes. Using a large, sharp knife, cut between the bones to separate the ribs. Serve with the coleslaw and baked potatoes.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...