Lamb shanks with lemon couscous
- December 2007
- Serves 4
- Ready in about 3 hours
This lamb shank recipe stews in the oven for two hours until tender and juicy. Serve over lemony couscous for a hearty winter dinner.
- 35.9g (3.1g saturated)
- 44.2g (7.6g sugar)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, about 450g each
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp Belazu Rose Harissa (from major supermarkets)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml chicken or lamb stock, hot
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the couscous
- 250g couscous
- 300ml vegetable stock, hot
- 3 tbsp each finely chopped fresh mint and coriander
- 2 Belazu preserved lemons (from major supermarkets), halved, deseeded and finely chopped
- 15g butter
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/ fan140°C/gas 3. Crush the spice seeds and a good pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar, add the ginger and garlic and work to a rough paste. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole over a high heat. Add the lamb shanks and brown well all over. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the spice paste and harissa, cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes and stock. Return the lamb shanks to the casserole and stir. Bring to the boil and add the cinnamon. Cover and bake in the oven for 2 hours, until the lamb is very tender.
- Just before serving, put the couscous in a bowl and pour over the stock. Cover and stand for 5 minutes. Fluff up with a fork and stir in the herbs, lemons and butter. Season and serve with the lamb shanks and sauce.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lamb shank recipes
Braised lamb shanks with lemon, garlic and parsley
A slow-cook dish and gastropub favourite, this braised lamb shanks recipe with lemon, garlic and...
Lamb shank recipes
Moroccan spiced lamb shanks with preserved lemon and prunes
This spicy Moroccan lamb main course has all the flavours of North Africa – it’s...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...