Mackerel, blood orange, chorizo and walnut salad
- January 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This simple yet tasty salad makes the most of seasonal British ingredients. The fresh mackerel is complemented by the citrus of the blood orange and the earthiness of the walnuts.
- 42.3g (9.6g saturated)
- 12.9g (11.5g sugars)
- 190g cooking chorizo, chopped
- 2-3 blood oranges (or regular oranges)
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 140g rocket
- 3 mackerel fillets
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g chopped walnuts
- Put a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the chorizo for 6 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon onto kitchen paper. Meanwhile, slice off the peel and pith from the oranges (or regular ones), then cut out the segments.
- Discard some fat from the pan, then fry the red onions for 7 minutes until soft. Add to the kitchen paper. In a bowl, toss the onions and chorizo with the rocket. Fry the mackerel fillets, skin-side down, for 3-4 minutes until crisp, then turn over and fry for 2 minutes more.
- Mix the Dijon mustard, a pinch of sugar and red wine vinegar, then whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil and chopped walnuts. Toss through the salad, then serve on 4 plates. Break the mackerel into large flakes and scatter on top.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy fish recipes
Halibut with pancetta, potatoes and blood orange salad
Planning an evening for two? This delicious crisp-skinned halibut with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter