Mackerel, kale, lemon and caper spaghetti
- January 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This Italian inspired spaghetti recipe makes a fuss of delicious British ingredients with mackerel and kale complemented with lemon and caper.
- 29.3g (5.1g saturated)
- 77g (4.2g sugars)
- 30g breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 4 mackerel fillets
- 400g spaghetti
- 200g kale
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
- A good drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Toast the breadcrumbs in a frying pan with a little vegetable oil, the chilli flakes and garlic until just golden, then set aside. Heat a little more oil in the pan, then add the mackerel fillets, skin-side down, and fry for 3-4 minutes until crisp. Turn over and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then add the spaghetti. Cook according to the pack instructions or until al dente, adding the kale, trimmed of large stems and chopped, for the final 4 minutes of the cooking time. Drain well, reserving 2 tbsp of the cooking water, then return to the pan with the reserved liquid.
- Grate in the zest of 1 lemon, then squeeze in its juice. Add 2 tbsp capers and a good drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Season well, then flake the mackerel and toss it through the spaghetti, sprinkling over the breadcrumbs to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pan-seared mackerel with radish, apple & watercress salad and salsa verde
Sophie Mitchell’s healthy salad recipe uses mackerel, a budget-friendly and healthy fish, to create a...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...