Marinated fennel and courgette salad with basil
- June 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, plus marinating
Take a breather between courses with a palate cleansing salad of marinated fennel and courgette ribbons topped with beautiful courgette flowers.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 11.9g (1.7g saturated)
- 2.8g protein
- 3.3g (2.8g sugars)
- no salt
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 6 baby courgettes or 3 big ones
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 50ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt flakes
- Basil leaves
- Slice the fennel bulb as finely as you can (set the fronds aside), and spread out in a wide, non-metal dish.
- Very finely slice courgettes (set any flowers aside and leave them whole or slice in half carefully if they’re big), then put them in the dish with the fennel.
- Squeeze over the juice of both lemons and drizzle over 50ml extra-virgin olive oil. Season with sea salt flakes, then gently toss everything together and leave to marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- To serve, transfer the veg to a serving platter (leaving any excess marinade behind), add the courgette flowers, a handful of basil leaves and the fennel fronds (or a few dill sprigs), then drizzle with a little more olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
We recommend you serve this after the main course, in the traditional Italian way. It’s a great palate cleanser after the steak’s big flavours.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Herb leaf salad
This simple summer salad recipe is fragrant and aromatic, and works well as a side...