- December 2007
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, halved lengthways, washed and chopped
- 1 celery stick, halved lengthways
- and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g piece brisket, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 100g savoy cabbage or Brussels sprouts, finely shredded
- 400g can cannellini or haricot beans, drained
- 100g small pasta shells
- 8 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan or Grana Padano, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, leek, celery and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until softened. Add the brisket, carrot, potatoes and herbs. Pour over the stock, tomatoes and 750ml water to cover. Bring to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage or sprouts, beans and pasta and simmer for a further 5 minutes. (The pasta will be slightly undercooked at this point but will be perfect after reheating.)
- Leave to cool completely, then freeze (see tip) or cook for 2 minutes more, if serving immediately, until the pasta is cooked. Serve with griddled ciabatta and cheese.
Freeze it for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature, then reheat until piping hot on the hob.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Angela Hartnett’s minestrone with salsa verde
Michelin-starred chef Angela Hartnett puts her stamp on this classic Italian soup recipe – a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...