Minestrone with macaroni cheese
- March 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 minutes
There are plenty of vegetables in this minestrone soup recipe which means you’re allowed a slightly decadent side dish of macaroni cheese.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.8g (8g saturated)
- 74.1g (8.5g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery sticks, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 1 leek, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 desirée potatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock, hot
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 small courgettes, finely
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- Chopped fresh flatleaf parsley,
- to garnish
For the macaroni cheese
- 150g dried macaroni or other small pasta shapes
- 100ml single cream
- 2 tbsp each grated Cheddar
- and vegetarian parmesan
- Butter, for greasing
- 1 tbsp dry breadcrumbs
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-low heat. Cook the celery, leek, garlic and carrot, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, tomato purée, bay leaves, thyme and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer over a medium-low heat, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, courgettes and peas, simmer for 6-8 minutes, then stir in the spinach and season.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain, return to the pan and stir in the cream, Cheddar, most of the Parmesan and season to taste.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Tip the pasta into 4 warm, lightly buttered 200ml ramekins, then scatter with breadcrumbs and the remaining cheese. Grill for 1-2 minutes.
- Divide the soup between warmed bowls, season and scatter with parsley and serve with the macaroni cheese.
Freeze at the end of step 2, but don’t add the baby spinach leaves until reheating.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Angela Hartnett’s minestrone with salsa verde
Michelin-starred chef Angela Hartnett puts her stamp on this classic Italian soup recipe – a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...