Mushroom and beef burgers
- February 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus chilling
We’ve made your favourite beef burger a whole lot healthier, without compromising on taste, by replacing half the beef with chopped mushroom. Quick and easy to make – you can enjoy this freezable burger recipe any night of the week.
Looking for something else? Take a look at lots more burger recipes, here.
- 21.2g (6.4g saturated)
- 40.1g (3.9g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250g British beef mince
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 4 burger buns, split in half
- 4 crisp lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes and onion to serve
- Heat a glug of oil in a pan over a medium-high heat and fry the onion for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, fry for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and fry for a minute. Put the mix in a large bowl, cool, then add the mince, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and egg with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix with a wooden spoon, then knead in the bowl for 2 minutes with your hands until the mixture starts to stick together. Divide into 4 equal patties, put on a plate, then cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or the freezer for 10.
- To cook, heat a glug of oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the burgers for 3 minutes, then flip and fry for 3 minutes on the other side and finally for 3 minutes on the first side. Remove the burgers and set aside to rest while you toast the buns.
- Put the burger buns cut-side down in the pan and toast for 2 minutes or until the undersides are golden and crisp. Layer up the lettuce, burgers, tomatoes and onion rings between the toasted bun halves.
Double the quantities and freeze half (wrap each burger in cling film). Thaw overnight in the fridge, then fry as in the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Mini beef sliders
These mini burgers might be small in size but they’re big in flavour. Made with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...