Nectarine and marsala polenta cake with marsala mascarpone
- July 2016
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 30-40 min, oven time 60-65 min
Ripe nectarines and sweet marsala wine evoke memories of Sicily in this moreish polenta cake recipe. It’s easy to transport making it perfect for any summer picnic.
Discover more uses for your open packet of polenta in our polenta recipes collection.
- 51.1g (18.8g saturated)
- 64.6g (58.2g sugars)
- no salt
For 10 servings
For the cake
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 large ripe nectarines, plus 2 sliced nectarines to serve
- 125ml sweet marsala wine
- 190ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 240g golden caster sugar
- 100g fine polenta
- 250g ground almonds
- 3 large free-range eggs, beaten
For the marsala mascarpone
- 500g mascarpone
- 100g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 4 tbsp sweet marsala wine
You’ll also need…
- 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin, lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas 3½. Fill a large saucepan with water and add the caster sugar. Bring to a simmer, then carefully drop in the nectarines. Poach for 30-40 minutes at a very gentle simmer, until tender (the length of time will vary depending on how ripe the nectarines are). Remove the fruit and, once cool, slice the fruit off the stone, then put in a food processor with the 125ml marsala.
- Add the remaining cake ingredients to the food processor and blend to a smooth batter. Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 60-65 minutes or until cooked through – a skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, using a balloon whisk, beat the mascarpone, icing sugar and 4 tbsp marsala in a bowl until smooth. Dust the cooled cake with a little icing sugar, then serve with a dollop of marsala mascarpone and nectarine slices.
Store the cooled cake in a sealed container or tin. Chill the mascarpone in a sealed container for up to 24 hours.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter