New Orleans oyster po’boy sandwich
- July 2013
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 min to make, 10 min to cook
This fried oyster sandwich is a real lunchtime treat. Use good-quality fresh mayonnaise or make your own.
- 33.6g (5.9g saturated)
- 47.4g (2g sugars)
- 4 soft long rolls, sliced lengthways
- 1 little gem lettuce, leaves picked
- Sunflower oil for deep-frying
- 50g plain flour, well seasoned
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 50g fine cornmeal or polenta
- 12 oysters, shucked (see Know-how)
- Hot sauce to serve (we like Cholula, widely available)
For the mayonnaise
- 2 large free-range egg yolks
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150ml sunflower oil
- Lemon juice to taste
- To make the mayonnaise, whisk the egg yolks with the Dijon mustard and season well. Slowly add the sunflower oil in a trickle, whisking until you have a silky mayonnaise. Add lemon juice to taste. Spread the rolls with the mayo, then fill with 2-3 gem lettuce leaves.
- Set a deep pan half-filled with the frying oil over a medium-high heat and bring up to 180°C (a piece of bread will brown in 40 seconds). Put the seasoned flour, beaten egg and cornmeal/polenta into separate bowls. Pat the oysters dry with kitchen paper, then dip them into the flour, the egg, then the cornmeal/polenta and carefully lower into the hot oil. Fry for 3 minutes until golden and crisp yet still juicy inside, then remove to drain on kitchen paper. While still hot, divide the oysters among the rolls and splash with the hot sauce.
To save time, buy good-quality fresh mayonnaise.
Try a toasty, rich but fresh, palate-cleansing New World sparkling wine, from the USA, Australia or New Zealand.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Oysters in crumbly patties full of creamy sauce
These creamy oyster tarts – as featured in Gone with the Wind – are an...
Bloody Mary gazpacho with fresh oysters
If you like the spicy, tangy flavours of a Bloody Mary cocktail, you’re going to...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...