Crispy parmesan and oregano roast potatoes
- November 2016
- Serves 8-10
- Hands on time 25 min, oven time 45-50 min
This twist on standard roast potatoes, with rich parmesan and heady oregano, is a great side dish for Christmas dinner or Sunday roasts.
Or, try these goose fat-roasted potatoes, made moreish with herb salt.
- 8.4g (3g saturated)
- 37.6g (1.8g sugars)
- 0.2g salt
- 2kg small red-skinned potatoes, cut in half or quarters (sixths if large)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 120g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- 1 rounded tsp mustard powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the potatoes in a large pan of boiling, salted water and cook for 7-8 minutes until not quite cooked – they should still be quite firm when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, drizzle the oil into 1-2 large (preferably non-stick) roasting tins (the potatoes need enough room to fit in a single layer) and evenly grate over the parmesan to cover the base(s) – the fine side of a box grater is best. Evenly scatter over the mustard powder, cayenne and oregano. Arrange the potatoes, cut-side down, on top of the cheese. Brush the potatoes with a little more oil and season well with salt. Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes until the parmesan is golden and crisp and the potatoes have shrunk slightly and are crisp and tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the tin(s) using a palette knife or fish slice and transfer to a serving dish, making sure you scrape up all the crispy browned bits of parmesan from the base. Serve straightaway.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter