One-tray roast chicken with white wine, potatoes and asparagus
- May 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make, 1 hour 15 min to cook, plus resting
Step into spring with Donal Skehan’s roast chicken recipe made with asparagus, garlic, lemon and white wine.
- 11.3g fat (2.7g saturated)
- 21.6g (2.9g sugars)
- 800g baby new potatoes, halved
- 1 garlic bulb, cloves separated
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Good handful of fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1.5kg free-range chicken
- Large knob of butter, at room temperature
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, woody ends snapped off
- 1 small glass (125ml) white wine
- Good handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put the new potatoes, garlic cloves and lemon slices into a large roasting tin. Scatter with the thyme sprigs and drizzle with the oil. Season well and toss to combine.
- Remove the string trussing the chicken (if there is any). Gently loosen the skin on the bird’s breasts to form a pocket, being careful not to tear it. Push a little butter under the skin, then spread more over the outside. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Put the chicken on top of the potatoes, then roast for 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate, add the asparagus and pour the wine into the roasting tin. Mix everything together so the asparagus is coated in the wine and chicken juices.
- Sit the chicken back on the veg. Return to the oven and roast for 30 minutes more, until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are tender. Rest the bird and veg somewhere warm for 10-15 minutes, covered with foil, then stir through the parsley and serve. The juices are amazing!
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken recipes
Roast chicken with crispy potatoes, summer salad and herby hollandaise
A wonderful whole roast chicken with crispy skin-on potatoes, asparagus, radishes and herby hollandaise. It’s...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...