Roast chicken with crispy potatoes, summer salad and herby hollandaise
- June 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on 25 min, oven 1 hour 25-30 min, plus 15 min resting
A wonderful whole roast chicken with crispy skin-on potatoes, asparagus, radishes and herby hollandaise. It’s the stuff of dreamy, laid-back summer Sundays.
This chicken and potato traybake is similar in its summery feel, but uses chicken pieces and is made in just one tray, for ease.
- 27.6g (12.7g saturated)
- 30.8g (5.3g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 2kg free-range chicken
- 250ml dry white wine
- A few garlic cloves, bashed
- Olive oil to drizzle
- ½ lemon
- 750g baby new potatoes
- 400g asparagus, halved
- 200g breakfast radishes, halved if large
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread, torn (optional)
- 2 little gem lettuces, quartered lengthways
- 2 handfuls pea shoots
For the herb hollandaise
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, halved
- 2 mace blades
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 medium free-range egg yolks
- 110g unsalted butter, cubed
- juice ½ lemon
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- a handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the chicken in a roasting tin with the wine and garlic, then season well. Drizzle over a glug of oil and squeeze over the lemon juice, then put the squeezed lemon half in the cavity. Roast for 1 hour 15-20 minutes, basting now and then. The chicken is cooked once the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- Meanwhile, parboil the potatoes for 7-8 minutes. Drain and steam dry in the hot pan for a few minutes, then squash with the back of a fork. When the chicken has been roasting for 45 minutes, add the potatoes to the tray, toss in the juices and roast.
- To make the hollandaise, put the vinegar, shallot, mace, bay and peppercorns in a small heavy-based pan. Reduce to 1 tbsp over a high heat, then strain into a heatproof bowl (discard the aromatics). Set the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (don’t let the water touch the bowl). Whisk in the egg yolks and a cube of the butter, then whisk in the remaining butter, a cube at a time, until incorporated. Add the lemon juice and season to taste. Keep warm. If the sauce is a little thick, add a splash of water. Add the herbs just before serving.
- Remove the chicken and potatoes from the roasting tin and set aside. Toss the asparagus, radishes and sourdough (if using) in the juices in the tin, then roast for 10 minutes. Arrange the lettuce and pea shoots on a serving platter, then top with the potatoes and veg, with any cooking juices poured over. Serve with the chicken and herb hollandaise.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chargrilled chicken with roasted tomatoes, avocado, peas and mint
This healthy chargrilled chicken is full of smoky flavour and served with fresh tomatoes and...