Orange polenta cake with rosemary and orange syrup
- September 2004
- Serves 8
- Hands on time 20 mins, 50-55 mins baking time, plus cooling
This orange polenta cake recipe is a delicious dairy-free dessert. The syrup adds a lovely herbal sweetness.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 18g (2.5g saturated)
- 61g (40.6g sugars)
- 125ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 150g coarse polenta
- 75g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 additional egg whites
- 250g soya yogurt
- Grated zest and juice of 1 medium orange
- For the orange syrup
- 125g caster sugar
- 180ml orange juice
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, plus extra to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease the base and sides of a 20cm loose-bottomed springform tin and line the base with greaseproof paper. Put the polenta, flour, baking powder and poppy seeds in a bowl and mix together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs and extra whites until thick then add the soya yogurt, sunflower oil, zest and juice. Add the polenta mixture a little at a time to make a batter. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 50-55 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden on top. Cool for 15 minutes then transfer from the tin to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the syrup, put the sugar in a small pan with the juice and rosemary. Allow the sugar to dissolve over a low heat, then boil it to a thin syrup, about 5 minutes. Discard the rosemary and serve the syrup warm, drizzled over the cake. Decorate slices with sprigs of fresh rosemary.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Make-ahead summer dessert recipes
Orange, polenta and olive oil cake with mascarpone and thyme
The citrus juiciness of the orange and the fragrance of the thyme-infused mascarpone make this...
Spiced lemon olive oil cake with date syrup
Marguerite Patten’s recipe for ginger cake was written during rationing, so we’ve updated this Victorian...