Orange polenta cake with rosemary and orange syrup
- September 2004
- Serves 8
- Hands on time 20 mins, 50-55 mins baking time, plus cooling
This orange polenta cake recipe is a delicious dairy-free dessert. The syrup adds a lovely herbal sweetness.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 18g (2.5g saturated)
- 61g (40.6g sugars)
- 125ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 150g coarse polenta
- 75g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 additional egg whites
- 250g soya yogurt
- Grated zest and juice of 1 medium orange
- For the orange syrup
- 125g caster sugar
- 180ml orange juice
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, plus extra to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease the base and sides of a 20cm loose-bottomed springform tin and line the base with greaseproof paper. Put the polenta, flour, baking powder and poppy seeds in a bowl and mix together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs and extra whites until thick then add the soya yogurt, sunflower oil, zest and juice. Add the polenta mixture a little at a time to make a batter. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 50-55 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden on top. Cool for 15 minutes then transfer from the tin to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the syrup, put the sugar in a small pan with the juice and rosemary. Allow the sugar to dissolve over a low heat, then boil it to a thin syrup, about 5 minutes. Discard the rosemary and serve the syrup warm, drizzled over the cake. Decorate slices with sprigs of fresh rosemary.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Make-ahead summer dessert recipes
Orange, polenta and olive oil cake with mascarpone and thyme
The citrus juiciness of the orange and the fragrance of the thyme-infused mascarpone make this...
Spiced lemon olive oil cake with date syrup
Marguerite Patten’s recipe for ginger cake was written during rationing, so we’ve updated this Victorian...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...