Pan-fried chicken in a Grana Padano crust
- September 2007
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 tbsp finely grated Grana Padano
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- Herb mash and lemon wedges, to serve
- Put the saffron in a bowl, add a tablespoon of boiling water and set aside for a few minutes to infuse.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken in half widthways to make 8 thin pieces and dust very lightly in flour.
- Crack the egg into the bowl of saffron. Add a good grinding of black pepper and beat well.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Mix the cheese and thyme together on a plate. Dip the chicken first in the egg mixture, then coat in the Grana Padano mixture. Fry in 2 batches, adding the remaining oil with the second batch, until crisp, golden and cooked through. It should take about 5 minutes each side, but don’t be tempted to lift or turn the chicken too soon or the crust might stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve 2 chicken pieces each, with herb mash and lemon wedges to squeeze over. Garnish with thyme.
Any leftovers from this meal make a great sandwich filling with a bit of garlic mayonnaise.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter