Peppermint creams for Christmas gifts
- November 2017
- Makes 35-40
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus 30 min drying
Looking for the best peppermint creams for Christmas? You’ll never look at After Eights the same after trying one of these peppermint creams. The recipe makes 35-40 which means you can wrap half up as a Christmas gift, and save half for yourself.
- 0.3g (0.2g saturated)
- 22.5g (22.3g sugars)
- trace salt
- 100ml lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 870g icing sugar
- A few drops green food colouring
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 100g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), melted
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the lemon juice, icing sugar, green food colouring and peppermint extract. Tip the mixture onto a clean work surface and work into a smooth paste. This takes time and elbow grease! After 5-10 minutes of kneading with your hands you’ll have a smooth, thick, almost plasticine-like paste. Mould and gently roll into a smooth, round sausage shape that’s about 50cm long.
- Cut off 1cm slices, then shape them into smooth-edged rounds (you should have 35-40 in total). Dip half of each peppermint cream into the melted chocolate, put on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, then leave to set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- When the chocolate has set, carefully peel the peppermint creams from the baking paper. Put them in a non-stick sealed container with non-stick baking paper between the layers and keep in the fridge or in a cool room until ready to pack as gifts.
Melt the chocolate in a small high-sided bowl to make it easy to dip the creams in halfway.
Choose a pretty gift box and line it with wax paper to help prevent the peppermint creams sticking to the sides. On the label write ‘store somewhere cool’.
These will keep in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 weeks – we recommend you keep them in the fridge or a cool room.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Frozen peppermint and pecan cream bar
The box of After Eight mints you’ve had lurking in the back of your cupboard...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...