Poached eggs with avocado, beetroot and spinach
- October 2013
- Serves 2
- Ready in 15 minutes
A nutritious poached egg and avocado breakfast recipe that’s packed with potassium, protein and vitamins B and C.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28.4g (6.4g saturated)
- 7.4g (6.5g sugars)
- ½ ripe medium avocado
- 4 cooked baby beetroot, quartered
- Handful of baby leaf spinach
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Small handful of blanched and toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 very fresh large free-range eggs (see Know-how)
- Peel, stone and slice the avocado, then gently toss in a bowl with the beetroot, spinach, olive oil, hazelnuts and lemon juice. Season and set aside.
- To poach the eggs, heat a large pan of salted water until it just bubbles gently. Crack an egg into a ramekin, then slide the egg into the water, lowering the ramekin as close to the water as possible. Using a dessert spoon, gently fold any stray strands of white around the yolk. Repeat with the other eggs. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and put on kitchen paper to dry.
- Divide the avocado mixture among 4 plates, then serve the eggs on top, sprinkled with salt and pepper.
When poaching eggs, the fresher, the better (ideally less than 4 days old). A fresh egg white clings more closely to the yolk in the simmering water.
Rate & review