Poached eggs with avocado, beetroot and spinach
- October 2013
- Serves 2
- Ready in 15 minutes
A nutritious poached egg and avocado breakfast recipe that’s packed with potassium, protein and vitamins B and C.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28.4g (6.4g saturated)
- 7.4g (6.5g sugars)
- ½ ripe medium avocado
- 4 cooked baby beetroot, quartered
- Handful of baby leaf spinach
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Small handful of blanched and toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 very fresh large free-range eggs (see Know-how)
- Peel, stone and slice the avocado, then gently toss in a bowl with the beetroot, spinach, olive oil, hazelnuts and lemon juice. Season and set aside.
- To poach the eggs, heat a large pan of salted water until it just bubbles gently. Crack an egg into a ramekin, then slide the egg into the water, lowering the ramekin as close to the water as possible. Using a dessert spoon, gently fold any stray strands of white around the yolk. Repeat with the other eggs. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and put on kitchen paper to dry.
- Divide the avocado mixture among 4 plates, then serve the eggs on top, sprinkled with salt and pepper.
When poaching eggs, the fresher, the better (ideally less than 4 days old). A fresh egg white clings more closely to the yolk in the simmering water.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...