Fried tenderstem and kale with poached eggs and polenta
- October 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Tenderstem broccoli and kale are fried together then served with cheesy polenta and a poached egg in this cheap recipe for four.
- 18.5g (4.9g saturated)
- 36.9g (1.6g sugars)
- 250g tenderstem broccoli
- 200g kale
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 200g instant polenta
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative, plus extra to serve
- 2 drizzles extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 2 garlic cloves
- Zest 1 lemon
- Slice the broccoli stems in half widthways and put them, with the kale, in a colander. Pour over a kettleful of boiling water and leave to steam.
- Poach the eggs for 3-4 minutes in a pan of gently boiling water, then scoop into a bowl of ice-cold water. Leave the hot water on the hob.
- Cook the polenta according to the pack instructions, then stir in the cheese with a good drizzle of oil. Cover with foil
- Heat a large frying pan with another drizzle of oil. Add the veg with salt and pepper. Fry, tossing occasionally, until soft but crisp. Slice the garlic, stir in with the zest and season.
- Meanwhile, bring the egg water back to a gentle simmer and tip the poached eggs back in for 1-2 minutes to warm. Stir the polenta to loosen, adding a little more oil or hot water if necessary, then divide among bowls. Top each with greens and an egg. Serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tenderstem broccoli with lemon vinaigrette
Serve this easy snack recipe alongside other nibbles as a sharing platter.