Poached mulled wine pears
- January 2012
- Serves 6
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 60-70 minutes to cook, plus cooling
This delicious poached pear recipe makes the perfect light but decadent end to a meal.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 0.2g (no saturated)
- 37.5g (36.6g sugars)
- 1 bottle (75cl) hearty red wine
- Pared zest and juice of 1 orange
- Pared zest of 1 lemon
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 125g caster sugar
- 6 ripe but firm pears, peeled with stalks intact
- Pour the wine and 600ml water into a pan. Add all the other ingredients, apart from the pears, put over a low heat, then stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Return the pan to the heat, then add the pears. Bring to a gentle simmer and submerge the pears in the liquid for 35-40 minutes, turning occasionally, until just cooked and ruby red. Remove to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Bring the poaching liquid back to the boil and reduce by half (to about 500ml) until slightly syrupy. Cool a little before pouring over the pears. Cool completely before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pear and ginger Eve’s pudding with brown sugar custard
Debbie Major’s Eve’s pudding recipes replacing apples with pears and ginger and begs to be...
Celebration cake recipes
Poached pear cake with chai-spiced buttercream and salted caramel drizzle
Edd Kimber’s gorgeous cake recipe is a combination of spicy chai, caramel and pears.