Poached mulled wine pears
- January 2012
- Serves 6
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 60-70 minutes to cook, plus cooling
This delicious poached pear recipe makes the perfect light but decadent end to a meal.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 0.2g (no saturated)
- 37.5g (36.6g sugars)
- 1 bottle (75cl) hearty red wine
- Pared zest and juice of 1 orange
- Pared zest of 1 lemon
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 125g caster sugar
- 6 ripe but firm pears, peeled with stalks intact
- Pour the wine and 600ml water into a pan. Add all the other ingredients, apart from the pears, put over a low heat, then stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Return the pan to the heat, then add the pears. Bring to a gentle simmer and submerge the pears in the liquid for 35-40 minutes, turning occasionally, until just cooked and ruby red. Remove to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Bring the poaching liquid back to the boil and reduce by half (to about 500ml) until slightly syrupy. Cool a little before pouring over the pears. Cool completely before serving.
Rate & review