Poached mulled wine pears
- January 2012
- Serves 6
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 60-70 minutes to cook, plus cooling
Give poached pears a festive twist with our easy mulled wine pears recipe. A lighter alternative to Christmas pudding or trifle.
If you liked this, you’ll love our blackberry and bay poached pear pavlova
- Dairy-free recipes
- 0.2g (no saturated)
- 37.5g (36.6g sugars)
- 1 bottle (75cl) hearty red wine
- Pared zest and juice of 1 orange
- Pared zest of 1 lemon
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 125g caster sugar
- 6 ripe but firm pears, peeled with stalks intact
- Pour the wine and 600ml water into a pan. Add all the other ingredients, apart from the pears, put over a low heat, then stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Return the pan to the heat, then add the pears. Bring to a gentle simmer and submerge the pears in the liquid for 35-40 minutes, turning occasionally, until just cooked and ruby red. Remove to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Bring the poaching liquid back to the boil and reduce by half (to about 500ml) until slightly syrupy. Cool a little before pouring over the pears. Cool completely before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Riesling-poached pears with ginger flapjack crumble
The pears travel well in jars and no amount of jostling can spoil the flapjack...
Ruby port poached pears and hazelnut shortbread
These spiced poached pears with crumbly shortbread make a beautifully elegant dinner party dessert.
Poached pears with Earl Grey ganache and spiced jellies
This dessert is perfect as dinner party showstopper, or a Christmas pudding alternative, combining rich...