Polenta with mushroom and artichoke
- February 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 60
Looking for a comforting vegetarian dish? This polenta recipe is it! Creamy polenta, fragrant garlic mushrooms, artichoke hearts and a slice or two of goat’s cheese.
- 31.4g (16.3g saturated)
- 27.6g (1.1g sugars)
For the polenta
- 150g coarse ground polenta (see tip)
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 4 tbsp olive oil or ghee (clarified butter), or 50g butter
For the topping
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 150g marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked, plus extra to serve
- 100g goat’s cheese (4-8 slices, depending on the shape of the cheese)
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Put 1 litre water in a heavy-based saucepan and bring to a simmer. Heat another 500ml water in a kettle or separate saucepan. Add the polenta and salt to the first pan and stir to combine. Immediately reduce the heat to a very low simmer and stir frequently until the water has been absorbed.
- Continue to simmer, stirring in a little more water from the second saucepan every 5 minutes or so, for 45 minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy and pulls away from the sides of the saucepan. Stir in half the olive oil, ghee or butter.
- Heat the remaining oil, ghee or butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms, then cook for a couple of minutes. Add the artichoke hearts and thyme, then cook for another couple of minutes until everything is tender and juicy.
- Move the mixture to the side of the pan, then cook the slices of cheese for no more than a minute on each side. Serve the creamy polenta on plates. Top with spoonfuls of mushroom and artichokes, a slice of warm goat’s cheese, a drizzle of olive oil and some thyme.
This recipe is from Green Kitchen Travels by David Frankiel and Luise Vindahl (£25; Hardie Grant)
Use quick-cook polenta if you like – follow the pack instructions, stirring in the salt and oil/ghee at the end.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...