Pomegranate loaf cake
- February 2019
- Serves 10
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 50 min
Try this beautiful, yet easy-to-make, almond and polenta loaf cake drizzled with fresh pomegranate juice and seeds. An afternoon tea recipe with a difference.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 17.6g (7g saturated)
- 31g (24.5g sugars)
- 1 pomegranate
- 115g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 115g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 100g ground almonds
- 85g instant polenta
- Zest and juice 1 orange
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 100ml natural yogurt, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 100g icing sugar
You’ll also need…
- 2lb/900g loaf tin, lined with non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Halve the pomegranate and remove the juice and seeds (see step 1). Reserve a quarter of the seeds, then use the back of a spoon to squeeze the remaining seeds through the fine mesh sieve into a jug. Discard any pulp left in the sieve.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together
the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one
at a time, then fold in the baking powder, almonds, polenta and orange zest. Mix briefly, then use a wooden spoon to stir in the yogurt and 3 tbsp of the pomegranate juice. Transfer to the prepared loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes or until the cake is well risen and feels firm to the touch.
- To make the drizzle, mix 50ml of the orange juice and 50ml of the pomegranate juice with 100g icing sugar. Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and immediately make holes all over the top of the cake (still in its tin) with a skewer. Pour over most of the drizzle, then set the cake aside to allow the mixture to soak in. Serve sprinkled with the reserved pomegranate seeds and pour over the remaining drizzle, with extra yogurt on the side, if
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Best Easter cake recipes
Lemon and poppy seed loaf cake with cream cheese frosting
This light and refreshing lemon loaf cake recipe is just the sort of thing to...