Lemon and poppy seed loaf cake with cream cheese frosting
- April 2008
- Serves 8
- Takes 10 min to make, 1 hour 10 min to bake, plus cooling and decorating
This light and refreshing lemon loaf cake recipe is just the sort of thing to have on standby, in the freezer, for a rainy weekend.
- 30.2g (17g saturated)
- 50g (25.5g sugar)
- 175g butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 175g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
- 3 medium eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 50g poppy seeds
- 4 heaped tbsp natural yogurt
For the crystallised rose petals
- 1 pale yellow rose
- Caster sugar, for dusting
- 1 egg white
For the cream cheese frosting
- 100g soft cream cheese, such as Philadelphia
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp natural yogurt
- Carefully pull the petals off the rose. Fill a bowl with sugar. Brush each petal with egg white, then bury under the sugar. Lift out, shake off the excess sugar and leave on a tray to dry for a few hours or until brittle (see video in tips).
- Preheat the oven to 150°c/fan130°c/gas 2. Grease and line a 19cm x 12cm x 9cm deep loaf tin with baking paper. Put the butter into a bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until it is almost white. Beat in the zest and eggs, 1 at a time, and a spoonful of flour with the second and last egg to prevent curdling. Sift over the rest of the flour and fold it in with the poppy seeds and the yogurt.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- Beat the frosting ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon until fluffy. Spread thickly over the cake and scatter with the crystallised petals.
Freeze the cake, wrapped in cling film, at the end of step 3 for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly, then continue with frosting.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Loaf cake recipes
Clotted cream cake with citrus and rosemary drizzle
A twist on the classic drizzle cake, this sweet loaf is made with clotted cream,...