Provençal-style poached chicken
- March 2019
- Serves 6 with leftovers to make another meal
- Hands-on time 10 min, simmering time 50 min
Make this simple French-style poached chicken when you have a bit of time, safe in the knowledge you’ll have leftovers to make something else for dinner the next day.
Why not try this chicken and greens pilaf with the leftovers?
- 11.5g (2.5 saturated)
- 10.6g (3.7g sugars)
- 2.2kg free-range whole chicken
- 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves and stalks separated
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g baby vegetables (we used carrots, turnips and leeks)
- 250g waxy new potatoes
- 4 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
You’ll also need…
- Cook’s string
- Put the chicken breast-side down in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole with the garlic halves and peppercorns (see tip). Tie together the parsley stalks and bay leaves with cook’s string and add to the pan. Pour over enough water to cover, then put the lid on.
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then turn the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Carefully turn the chicken over, add the baby veg and potatoes, then re-cover. Simmer for 20-25 minutes more until the chicken is cooked through (the juices will run clear when you push a knife into the thickest part of the thigh or a digital probe thermometer reads 72°C).
- Remove from the heat and spoon a few ladlefuls of cooking water from the pan into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk in 2 tbsp dijon mustard and the sea salt, then pour back in the pan and stir well to combine.
Taste to check the seasoning.
- Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Remove the garlic, squeeze out 3 cloves into a bowl (save the rest for another recipe), then mix with the rest of the dijon, the oil and 2 tbsp poaching liquid to make a dressing.
- Carve the chicken. Serve two thirds of the meat with the veg and a little stock, plus crusty bread and the parsley dressing to drizzle over.
- Leave the leftover chicken and broth to cool completely, then strip the rest of the meat from the carcass and store the leftovers. Transfer to separate food bags or containers.
For an Asian twist, add a splash of soy sauce, a star anise and a cinnamon stick with the peppercorns. Omit the potatoes and mustard and serve with steamed rice or noodles instead.
Chill for up to 3 days in the fridge or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in
the fridge overnight. Reheat until piping hot before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Poached chicken with summer vegetables and chive butter sauce
Poached chicken and seasonal vegetables are topped with a gorgeous, buttery chive sauce; a perfect...