Poached chicken with summer vegetables and chive butter sauce
- August 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 min to make and 2 hours to cook
Poached chicken and seasonal vegetables are topped with a gorgeous, buttery chive sauce; a perfect alternative to a Sunday roast for the summer.
For a traditional French version of this recipe, try our Provencal-style poached chicken.
- 652 kcals
- 30g (17.5g saturated)
- 26.8g (8.7g sugar)
- Large (1.8-2kg) organic free-range chicken
- 12 baby carrots, tops trimmed and scrubbed clean
- 12 baby courgettes, trimmed and diagonally sliced
- 100g fine green beans, topped
- 100g fresh or frozen peas
- 12 thin spring onions, trimmed
- 16 small new potatoes, peeled or scrubbed clean
- 125g butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Bunch of fresh chives, chopped
For the chicken stock
- Chicken carcass (see step 1 of recipe)
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, cleaned and chopped
- 1 large leek, cleaned and chopped
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 fresh bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- Joint the chicken: remove the legs from the carcass by cutting through the joint with a sharp knife, then divide into drumsticks and thighs. Remove the breasts and cut into 2, cover the pieces and keep in the fridge until needed. Put the leftover chicken carcass into a large pan with the stock ingredients and a good pinch of salt. Cover with cold water and bring slowly to the boil, skimming off any scum as it rises to the surface, then lower the heat and simmer very gently for 1 hour.
- Strain the stock into a clean pan, discarding the solids. Bring back to a simmer, add the drumsticks and thighs and simmer very gently for 30 minutes. Remove from the stock with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Bring the stock back to the boil and blanch the carrots and courgettes for 2-3 minutes, then add the green beans for a further 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in a large bowl of ice-cold water. Add the peas and spring onions to the stock and simmer for just 1 minute, then refresh in the icy water. Drain the vegetables, cover and set aside.
- Return the chicken drumsticks and thighs to the stock, along with the chicken breasts and new potatoes, and simmer for 12-13 minutes.
- Lift the chicken and potatoes out of the stock and remove the skin from the chicken. Arrange in a large serving dish with the potatoes and blanched veg. Cover with foil and place in a low oven to keep warm. Pour 300ml of the chicken stock into a small pan and boil until reduced to about 75ml. Gradually whisk in the pieces of chilled butter, season to taste and stir in the lemon juice and chives. Remove the chicken and vegetables from the oven, pour the sauce over them and serve.
The remaining stock can be frozen and used for soups, stews or gravy.
Don’t overwhelm this dish with a strongly flavoured white. A well-balanced, buttery Chablis or Mâcon-Villages is spot on.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Poached chicken with lemongrass rice and nam jim
Debbie Major’s ginger-poached chicken with lemongrass-scented rice and nim jam...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter