Rack of lamb with new potatoes and honey sauce
- June 2007
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 12-15 min
This is a lovely, sophisticated roast lamb recipe in a sweet and sour style. Impressive enough for a dinner party or a special Sunday lunch.
- 15.1g (5.8g saturated)
- 40.2g (13.3g sugar)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 x 6-bone racks of lamb, French-trimmed (keep the trimmings)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig, plus small sprigs to serve
- 400ml fresh chicken stock, hot
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 700g new potatoes
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- ½ charantais melon, peeled, deseeded and cut into thin wedges
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the lamb trimmings and fry for 5 min, until golden. Add the shallot, tomato, garlic, rosemary and stock, bring to the boil and cook for 5-6 min or until reduced by half. Skim off any fat, then stir in the honey. Season and keep hot over a low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large roasting tin over a medium-high heat. Season the lamb, add to the pan and cook for 2-3 min each side, to seal and brown. Transfer to the oven and cook for 12-15 min, until the skin is crisp and the meat medium-rare (you can cook it for longer if you prefer). Cover the lamb racks with foil, set aside for 5 min, then slice into cutlets.
- Meanwhile, cook the new potatoes in boiling, salted water for 15 min or until tender. Drain. Strain the sauce from the lamb into a jug, discarding the solids.
- Spoon the potatoes, grapefruit segments and melon wedges onto 4 warm plates, then arrange 3 lamb cutlets on top of each. Drizzle with the honey sauce and garnish with the small rosemary sprigs to serve.
The honey sauce is thin like a jus, but if you want something thicker you can add a beurre manié. To make this, just mix 10g softened butter and 10g plain flour to a smooth paste. Gradually whisk into the sauce, until thickened slightly and glossy – you might not need it all.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy dinner party mains
Herb-crusted rack of lamb with beans, artichokes and garlic
Make this quick rack of lamb recipe as an elegant...
Rack of lamb with an olive crust and peperonata salad
This oven-roasted rack of lamb recipe is easy to make...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter