Raspberry maple shortcakes
- July 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 30 min to make, 8-10 min to bake, plus chilling and cooling
The maple syrup sauce and biscuits are delicious with the tangy fresh raspberries.
- 64.1g (39.8g saturated)
- 60.4g (34.7g sugar)
- 115g salted butter
- 60g caster sugar
- 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
For the maple sauce
- 250ml double cream
- 125ml maple syrup
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
For the filling
- 284ml pot double cream
- 300g raspberries
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Using a mixer or electric hand whisk, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour and maple syrup and mix to form a ball of dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the maple sauce. Heat the cream, maple syrup and brown sugar in a pan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 5mm thickness. Using a 7cm cookie cutter, cut the dough into 18 rounds. Place on 2-3 large non-stick baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes, until pale golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream for the filling until it just forms stiff peaks. Swirl through half of the maple sauce. Place 1 biscuit in the centre of a plate, top with a generous spoonful of the maple cream and a few raspberries. Top with a second biscuit and add a further generous spoonful of maple cream and some more raspberries. Top with a third biscuit. Repeat with the remaining biscuits to make 6 raspberry stacks.
- Dust each stack with icing sugar and drizzle around the remaining maple sauce. Serve immediately.
You can FREEZE the biscuits in an airtight container for up to 1 month, or pop in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...