Red wine chocolate bundt cake
- Online only
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 50 min
This wonderful bundt cake recipe, by the late Valli Little, is served with a rich chocolate sauce, a raspberry coulis and is made with a secret ingredient – red wine.
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder plus extra to dust
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225g unsalted butter (softened)
- 220g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml milk
- 125ml red wine
- 184ml whipping/double cream (to serve)
For the chocolate sauce
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 20g unsalted butter
For the raspberry coulis
- 2 tbsp kirsch
- 250g raspberries
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Generously grease a 1.6l bundt pan. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, a pinch of salt and bicarbonate of soda onto a sheet of baking paper, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes until thick and pale. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Gently fold in the melted chocolate until combined.
- Beating the batter gently, slowly add the flour mixture until combined, then add vanilla, milk and red wine, and beat to combine.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, levelling the top back with a spoon. Bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- Once baked allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning on to a wire rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, to make the sauce place the chocolate and butter in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water) for 3-4 minutes until the chocolate melts, stir occasionally to help the chocolate melt evenly. Remove the bowl from the pan and allow to cool for 5 minutes before drizzling over the cake.
- To make the raspberries coulis, place all ingredients in a blender and whizz, pass through a sieve to get rid of the seeds. Alternatively mix a handful of raspberries with a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Whip the cream until just thickened. To serve, dust the cake with extra cocoa, then drizzle over the ganache and serve with raspberry coulis and whipped cream.
This recipe was taken from delicious. Love to Cook by Valli Little (£18.99; Quadrille), out now. Food photography: Jeremy Simons. Styling: David Morgan.
You can make the cake up to 3 days in advance, keep in a sealed container in the fridge, bring to room temperature before eating.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bundt cake recipes
Chocolate and soured cream bundt cake with ganache topping
Our chocolate bundt cake – with a blanket of chocolatey...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter