Chocolate and soured cream bundt cake with ganache topping
- Online only
- Serves 10-12
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 45 min, plus cooling
Our chocolate bundt cake – with a blanket of chocolatey ganache – makes a decadent dessert, great afternoon tea treat or stick a few candles in for a special birthday cake.
Need more uses for your bundt tin? We’ve got lots of different bundt cake recipes for you to try.
- 200g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 160ml soured cream
- 55g cocoa powder
- 400g caster sugar
- 3 medium free-range eggs, at room temperature
For the ganache topping
- 150ml double cream
- 70g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
You’ll also need…
- 2.4 litre bundt tin (we used one made by Nordicware)
- Heat the oven to 170°C/fan150°C/gas 31/2. Generously butter the inside of the bundt tin using your hands (or a brush) to get right into the corners of the tin. You need to be generous with the butter and take care over this stage, otherwise the cake won’t turn out of the tin.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Once melted, take off the heat and sift in the cocoa powder. Add the vanilla extract, soured cream and 80ml boiling water, then stir to a smooth, thick paste.
- In another large bowl, using an electric whisk, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition, then stir in the chocolate paste until well combined – but don’t over-mix. Fold in the flour mixture, using a metal spoon.
- Dollop the mixture into the greased bundt tin and smooth the top. Bake for 45 min or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 min, then turn the cake out on to a wire rack and leave to cool (see food team’s tip).
- To make the topping, heat the cream in a small saucepan until it just comes to a simmer, then remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Leave for one minute so the hot cream has a chance to start melting the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has fully melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour straight over the cooled bundt, leave to set, or serve while the ganache is still warm.
Recipe by Emine Hassan of mbakes.com.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter