Chocolate tarts with mulled pears
- December 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 50 min to make, 30-40 min to cook, plus chilling overnight
These delicious chocolate tarts with mulled pears from expert baker Eric Lanlard make a great alternative to Christmas pudding, and serve 6.
- 57.6g (21.6g saturated)
- 75.4g (38.4g sugar)
- 500g pack sweet shortcrust pastry
- 125g ground almonds
- 100g good-quality cocoa powder
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large free-range eggs
- Apricot jam, sieved, to glaze
- Flaked almonds, to decorate
- Icing sugar, to dust
For the mulled pears
- 250g caster sugar
- 200ml red wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 large, ripe Williams pears
- Make the mulled pears the day before you want to eat (or freeze) the tarts. Put the caster sugar, wine, cinnamon and 100ml water in a large saucepan and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved to make a syrup.
- Peel the pears and add whole to the simmering syrup. Poach for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, then set aside to cool in the syrup. Once cool, chill in the syrup overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 180°c/fan160°c/gas 4. Line 6 x 10cm loose-bottomed tart tins with the pastry and chill in the fridge.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground almonds, cocoa and caster sugar. Add the butter and beat together until well mixed. Gradually beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
- Fill the pastry cases with the chocolate almond cream. Remove the pears from their syrup (discard the syrup) and halve lengthways – keep the stem intact. Slice across on a slight angle, not cutting all the way through. Place a pear half on each tart.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the filling sets and the pastry is pale gold. Gently heat the apricot jam in a small pan. Brush the pears with jam to glaze. Decorate with flaked almonds and dust with icing sugar. Serve warm with cream or vanilla ice cream.
Freeze these tarts by making the recipe up to the end of step 5, then freeze them for up to 1 month. Bake from frozen for 40 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...