Secret-ingredient chocolate bundt cake
- June 2017
- Makes a 25cm cake
- Hands-on time 25 mins, oven time 50 mins
And the secret-ingredient is…mashed potato! That’s right! Victoria Glass, author of Too Good to Waste, gives mash a makeover in this light, moist chocolate bundt cake recipe.
Want more ways to use up leftover mashed potato? Give this savoury mashed potato pie a go.
For the cake:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g plain all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125g ground almonds
- 150g mashed potato
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
For the chocolate ganache:
- 100g dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids, chopped
- 200ml double cream
- Flaked/sliced almonds, to sprinkle
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C/gas 4 and grease and flour a 25cm fluted ring cake tin or similar tin.
- Whisk all the cake ingredients together until smooth, then pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Level the top with a palette knife and bake for 30–35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cold, make the chocolate ganache icing. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a saucepan until it just comes to the boil. Take the pan off the heat and pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Leave to stand for 1 minute, before whisking until the chocolate has completely melted and you are left with a glossy sauce. Leave to cool to room temperature, then drizzle over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with flaked/sliced almonds to finish.
Extracted from Too Good To Waste by Victoria Glass © Victoria Glass 2017 published by Nourish Books, London. Hardback, £14.99. Photography by Danielle Wood.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bundt cake recipes
Chocolate and soured cream bundt cake with ganache topping
Our chocolate bundt cake – with a blanket of chocolatey...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter