Roast beetroot, hazelnuts and goat’s cheese
- November 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 45-50 min
This autumnal salad recipe combines earthy beetroot, tangy goat’s cheese and hazelnuts – a simple, yet effective starter for a dinner party.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 29.2g (8.9g saturated)
- 26.3g (23.3g sugars)
- 1kg raw beetroot, trimmed, peeled and cut into fat wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil for roasting
- 80g watercress
- 70g whole fresh herb leaves (we used coriander, mint and basil)
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses (from large supermarkets)
- 2-3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Aleppo chilli flakes or regular chilli flakes to sprinkle (optional)
- 150g fresh goat’s cheese (we used ash-coated rosary goat’s cheese)
- 50g blanched hazelnuts, toasted on a baking tray in a medium oven until golden, then roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the beetroot wedges with the 2 tbsp oil in a roasting tin, season, then spread out. Roast for 45-50 minutes, turning occasionally, until soft and slightly blackened.
- When the beetroot is ready, put the watercress in a large mixing bowl and toss with the herbs. Drizzle over 1 tbsp of the molasses, and 1-2 tbsp of the extra-virgin olive oil, then scatter with chilli flakes, if using. Toss in the warm beetroot wedges, then season and divide among 4 shallow bowls or plates. Crumble over the goat’s cheese, scatter over the chopped hazelnuts, then drizzle with the remaining molasses and extra-virgin olive oil. Add a final scattering of chilli flakes, if you like, then serve.
Roast the beetroot 24 hours in advance, then cool, cover and chill. Bring back to room temperature and warm gently in the oven before assembling the salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian risotto recipes
Goat’s cheese and barley risotto with winter greens
We’ve swapped rice for pearl barley in this cheesy risotto recipe for a slightly nuttier...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...