Roast gammon joint with pan rösti and parsley sauce
- November 2020
- Serves 4-6
- Hands on time 20 mins, oven time 1 hour 45 mins
Gammon isn’t just for Christmas Day! Use up this crowd-pleasing meat in our midweek roast gammon joint recipe, which comes served atop a giant potato rösti!
- 32.1g (10.2g)
- 19.1g (4g sugars)
- 750g gammon joint
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp mustard (any kind you have to hand)
- 500g potatoes, unpeeled and grated
- 1 small onion or leek, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin rapeseed oil or olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Grated zest ½ lemon
You’ll also need…
- 20cm non-stick frying pan
- Rub the gammon with the honey and mustard, then season with black pepper. Wrap tightly in foil, then put in a roasting tin and bake for 1½ hours. Remove the foil, then bake for 10-15 minutes more until browned and cooked through.
- Put the grated potatoes in a large bowl with salt and pepper and toss well. Leave the potatoes for at least 5 minutes, then put in a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Return the potatoes to the bowl, then mix in the onion/leek.
- Heat the frying pan with the oil and butter and, once it’s hot, add the potato and leek mix in an even layer. Fry for 6 minutes over a medium-high heat, then cover the pan with a baking sheet. Carefully flip the pan over so the rösti is on the sheet, then slide it back in the pan to cook the other side. Cook for 5-6 minutes more or until tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, mix the extra-virgin oil, parsley and lemon zest in a small bowl. Slice the gammon, then serve with the rösti, drizzled with parsley oil (add fried eggs on the side if you like – see Tip).
Swap potatoes for shredded celeriac, courgettes or carrots – or use a mix.
If you’re feeling really hungry, serve this tasty combo with fried eggs.
Bake the gammon 1-2 days ahead, then slice to serve with the rösti or use up as cold cuts to make sandwiches.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...