Roast guinea fowl with celeriac and plums
- October 2018
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 1 hour 50 min
In this tray bake recipe, Gill Meller roasts guinea fowl with celeriac and plums and seasons with thyme and garlic. Simple to put together – it’s perfect for a lazy supper.
- 32.2g (8.9g saturated)
- 8.4g (7.1g sugars)
- 2 free-range guinea fowl (1-1.2kg each), jointed into 8 pieces – see tip
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium celeriac
- 6-8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 25g butter, softened
- 12-14 small plums or damsons, halved and stoned
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the drumsticks and thighs in a large roasting tin (reserve the breasts to add later). Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper, then roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and cube the celeriac into chunky bite-size pieces. When the guinea fowl has had its initial 30 minutes cooking time, scatter in the celeriac along with the thyme sprigs, bay leaves and garlic. Dot with the butter and return the tin to the oven. Turn down the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and roast for 1 hour, turning halfway.
- Remove the tin from the oven and turn everything once more. The meat should be quite tender. Add the halved guinea fowl breasts to the tin along with the plums/damsons. Drizzle with the honey and return to the oven for 20 minutes until the breast meat is just cooked through. Rest for 6-8 minutes before serving.
Ask your butcher to joint the guinea fowl into 8 pieces or search ‘how to joint a chicken’ for a step-by-step guide on how to do it yourself. Save the carcasses to make stock, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Guinea fowl fesenjan (walnut and pomegranate stew)
A Persian celebration recipe that is full of flavour from cinnamon and fresh herbs with...
Calum Franklin’s guinea fowl and wild mushroom pie
”The sauce is one of my favourites and is based purely on concentrating flavour using...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...