Roasted aubergines with lemon breadcrumbs
- October 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 40 min
An easy vegetarian dinner recipe – aubergines stuffed with a garlicky tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 16.6g (5.8g saturated)
- 36.2g (16.9g sugars)
- 4 large aubergines, halved lengthways
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Small bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon and juice ½
- 125g mozzarella, sliced
To serve (optional)
- Mixed salad leaves
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the aubergine halves in a large oven tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp of the oil. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender.
- When 15 minutes of the cooking time remains, heat another 1 tbsp oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion for 5-6 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute. Turn the heat to high, then add the tomatoes, season and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the basil. Spoon the sauce onto the aubergines, then return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a small frying pan and cook the breadcrumbs, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until crisp. Add the lemon zest and juice, then cook for 1 minute.
- Top the aubergines with the mozzarella, then scatter over the breadcrumbs and bake for 5 more minutes or until the cheese has melted. Garnish with extra basil and serve with salad, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Mackerel with spiced aubergines
The distinctive seasonal flavours of this mackerel with spiced aubergines recipe are perfect for an...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...