Roasted aubergines with lemon breadcrumbs
- October 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 40 min
An easy vegetarian dinner recipe – aubergines stuffed with a garlicky tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 16.6g (5.8g saturated)
- 36.2g (16.9g sugars)
- 4 large aubergines, halved lengthways
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Small bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon and juice ½
- 125g mozzarella, sliced
To serve (optional)
- Mixed salad leaves
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the aubergine halves in a large oven tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp of the oil. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender.
- When 15 minutes of the cooking time remains, heat another 1 tbsp oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion for 5-6 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute. Turn the heat to high, then add the tomatoes, season and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the basil. Spoon the sauce onto the aubergines, then return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a small frying pan and cook the breadcrumbs, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until crisp. Add the lemon zest and juice, then cook for 1 minute.
- Top the aubergines with the mozzarella, then scatter over the breadcrumbs and bake for 5 more minutes or until the cheese has melted. Garnish with extra basil and serve with salad, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Mackerel with spiced aubergines
The distinctive seasonal flavours of this mackerel with spiced aubergines recipe are perfect for an...