Chargrilled aubergines with chermoula
- July 2007
- Serves 8
- Takes about 40 min to make, plus draining
Chermoula is a spicy Arabic recipe made from harissa, saffron, paprika, lemon and mint.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 21.5g (3g saturated)
- 3.6g (2.5g sugars)
- 3 large (about 1kg) aubergines
- About 100ml olive oil
For the chermoula
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1½ tsp sweet paprika
- Good pinch of saffron strands
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 20g fresh coriander leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 20g fresh mint leaves
- 120ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut the aubergines lengthways into 1cm-thick slices. Sprinkle with salt, layer in a colander and set aside to drain for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the chermoula. Put the garlic, spices, harissa, lemon juice, herbs and 4 tablespoons of oil into a processor with a pinch of salt. Blend to a paste and stir in enough of the remaining oil to make a sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 110°C/fan90°C/gas ¼. Pat the aubergines dry with kitchen paper. In batches, brush with oil and barbecue over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes each side, until golden. Keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining slices.
- Place the aubergine slices on a serving dish, drizzle with the chermoula and sprinkle with the coriander leaves to garnish
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chermoula lamb leg steaks with minted cucumber yogurt
Homemade chermoula, made with saffron, lemon, coriander and garlic, is the perfect accompaniment to barbecued...