Romanian mill wheels (chocolate and hazelnut meringues)
- December 2022
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 35 min. Oven time 40 min
Food writer Irina Georgescu shares her recipe for traditional Romanian mill wheels, little meringues sandwiched with chocolate cream. “This chic and delicate Christmas treat is baked in many countries throughout Eastern Europe in different shapes and under many names,” says Irina. “It has travelled all the way from Denmark, where it was created a century ago to celebrate the actress Sarah Bernhardt. They bring a charming elegance to the table.”
Recipe from Tava by Irina Georgescu (Hardie Grant £27).
Browse more Christmas baking ideas from around the globe.
- 4.5g (2.2g saturated)
- 14.8g (14.7g sugars)
- 2 medium free-range egg whites
- 145g caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 50ml double cream
- 50g dark chocolate, 70-85% cocoa solids
- 20g chopped roasted hazelnuts
You’ll also need
- Piping bag with 1cm nozzle
- Heat the oven to 120°C fan/gas ½ and line a baking sheet with baking paper. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then gradually add the sugar and lemon juice until the meringue forms very stiff peaks and the sugar has dissolved. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe 24 meringues of equal size onto the lined sheet. When piping, keep the nozzle very close (around 2mm) to the baking paper, without swirling, lifting slightly to create height. Make them about 3.5cm in diameter. Dip a finger in cold water and gently tuck in any peaks that are sticking out.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then turn off the oven and allow the meringues to cool in it for a few minutes with the door left ajar. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Make the filling by heating the cream in a small saucepan. Chop the chocolate finely, place in a heatproof bowl and pour the hot cream on top. Stir well until it looks glossy.
- Sandwich together 2 meringues with a little chocolate, then sprinkle some hazelnuts on the outside of the filling. Put on a pretty plate and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Brown-sugar meringues with hazelnut butterscotch sauce
Can you make meringues with brown sugar? Yes you can....
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter