Scandi-style steak salad with buttermilk dressing and rye crumbs
- July 2014
- 3 medium golden or red beetroot
- 2 eating apples, such as cox or braeburn
- 1 lemon
- 2 British sirloin steaks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Small bunch fresh dill
- 100ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Large bunch watercress
- 2 rye bread slices, toasted
- Peel and very finely slice the beetroot (use a mandoline if you have one), then put into a bowl. Core and finely slice the apples (leave the skins on), then add to the beetroot. Cut the lemon in half, squeeze over some of its juice and toss to coat.
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat until just smoking. Rub the steaks with the olive oil, then season. Sear on the griddle for 2 minutes on each side, then set aside to rest.
- Chop the dill, then put in a small bowl with the buttermilk, 1/2 tbsp lemon juice and the extra-virgin oil. Season well, then whisk.
- Slice the steaks. Toss the watercress with the apple and beetroot, then divide among 4 plates. Divide the steak among the plates, then drizzle with the dressing. Crumble the rye toast, then scatter over the top.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...