Seafood salad with lime and chilli salsa
- August 2004
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 40 mins
This seafood salad recipe is fresh and zingy, perfect as a light summer lunch. Serve with crusty bread to mop up the juices.
For an even quicker dish, try this easy seafood salad with avocado.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 6g (0.7g saturated)
- 2g (0.2g sugars)
- Large handful fresh parsley
- 1kg live mussels, cleaned and debearded (discard open ones that do not close when tapped, and any with cracked shells)
- 500g raw tiger prawns, peeled and deveined with tail-shells on
- 300g fresh squid, cleaned and cut into rings or strips
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 100g rocket
For the lime and chilli salsa
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small red chilli, halved and deseeded
- Large handful fresh mint
- Put 100ml water in a large pan. Tear the stalks from the parsley (reserve the leaves for the salsa) and add to the pan with a couple of black peppercorns. Bring to the boil, add the mussels, cover and cook for 5 minutes, shaking the pan until all shells have opened. Remove mussels with a slotted spoon, discarding any that haven’t opened. Add the prawns and squid to the pan, cook for 2 minutes or so until both are cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Boil the liquor in the pan until reduced by half, then spoon about 3 tablespoons of it (avoid the pepper and stalks, and discard remaining liquor) into a bowl and cool. Whisk the avocado oil and lime juice into the reserved cooking liquor. Season and stir in the shallot.
- Shell the mussels, toss with the prawns and squid. Cover and chill.
- To make the salsa, put the zest, garlic and chilli in a blender and whizz until chopped. Add the mint and reserved parsley leaves and whizz to make a fine mixture.
- Toss together the seafood and shallot dressing, then gently fold in the rocket. Divide between serving bowls and spoon over some lime and chilli salsa.
To get ahead, prepare the seafood, dressing and salsa the day before.
Rate & review