Chilled radish, watercress and tahini yogurt soup
- May 2017
- Serves 4, or 6 as a starter
- Hands-on time 25 min
An appreciation of yogurt runs in Lebanese food writer Bethany Kehdy’s family, and this flavourful savoury soup brings back sweet memories of gathering round the kitchen table and of her long-lived, but much missed, grandfather.
This recipe makes an elegant summer starter.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8.4g (2.8g saturated)
- 3.1g (2.7g sugars)
- 20g unsalted butter
- 1 medium leek, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 175g radishes, finely chopped, plus extra slices to garnish
- 175g watercress
- 600ml good-quality vegetable stock, warmed (we like Knorr)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- Juice ½ lemon to taste
- Olive oil to serve
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan with a lid over a low-medium heat. Add the leek and garlic, cover, then cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the radishes and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the watercress and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper, then simmer for 5 minutes, no longer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the tahini with the yogurt in a bowl. Once the soup has finished simmering, purée the mixture in the pan with a stick blender, then add the tahini and yogurt mixture. Blend again until well incorporated and frothy. Pour into a bowl, cool, then chill. Stir in a squeeze of lemon juice and drizzle over some olive oil. Serve with thinly sliced radishes and bread.
Although this is a chilled soup, it can be served warm (without cooling and chilling) or heated for extra time in the pan until hot.
Make the soup up to 12 hours in advance and store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Broccoli and watercress soup with crispy chorizo crumbs
This purple sprouting broccoli soup is gorgeous with the addition of spicy crumbled chorizo, and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...