- January 2018
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 10 min, Oven-time 60 min
”This version of the now famous North African dish of shakshuka is super easy as it completely cooks itself in the oven, allowing you to get on with important stuff like reading the weekend papers.” – Sue Quinn
Or skip the meat and try our easy shakshuka, which is suitable for vegetarians.
- 1 large red onion, halved and thickly sliced, layers separated
- 2 large red peppers, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g chorizo, cut into 2-cm cubes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tbsp rose harissa paste
- 4-6 large eggs
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- handful of coriander leaves and stems, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Place all the ingredients, except the eggs, feta and coriander, in a 30 x 20 x 5-cm roasting tray. Add 150ml water and stir well so all the ingredients are combined.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring frequently and adding a splash more water towards the end of cooking if needed to prevent the sauce becoming too thick.
- Make indentations in the sauce with a spoon and crack in the eggs. Bake for about 10 minutes more, but watch the eggs carefully so the yolks don’t overcook: the yolks need to be gooey. Sprinkle over the feta and coriander and serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter